The Building of a Navigator A John Welsford Design
My setup will look similar to this
Time for another project...switching gears by starting construction of a John Welsford designed yawl known as the Navigator. I've sailed maybe three or four times in my entire life so building this boat is more an exercise in boatbuilding than a burning need to sail. For that reason I'm hoping to not become emotionally attached to this boat so if I find I don't particularly like sailing I may end up selling it....yeh right.
I actually look forward to having a day sailor for use during the fishing off-season . Everything I've read about this little boat is that it's a joy to sail and it looks very cool with the lapstrake sides,rocker in the bottom and three sails. It's old school and very nautical looking....
The project start date was Dec 28th, 06 after having the plans for about a year or so. I had been putting off getting started until it felt like the right time . That morning I woke up and for some reason, it just felt like the right time. I made a trip to Home Depot and bought wood for the strongback and began the project that afternoon.
I'm in no rush on this project and will enjoy the fact that I'm building it in my garage rather than 25 miles away at my boat club. This alone is worth a lot. To be able to walk through a garage door instead of loading everything in my car or truck....man, this is going to be a fun project!
Strongback Built and Bottom Mounted
The first step was to build a frame or strongback that the hull will be constructed on. It needs to be straight and level as once the bottom is attached all framing is referenced off the bottom. The rocker in the bottom is attained by varying the height of the framing members so the transom is at the highest setting and drops down and then back up slightly at the bow. This locks in the the shape of the bottom on the horizontal plane.
Keel and Seat Stringers Installed
Keelson and stringers installed
The keelson and the seat face stringers are glued and screwed onto the bottom panel from underneath . The seat stringers will be used as a reference and anchor point for most of the rear bulkheads.
The Daggerboard Centercase
I decided on a daggerboard keel setup. The centercase box was built and the inside surfaces epoxied prior to assembly. I cut the slot in the keel between the B4 and B5 and mounted the centercase. It was filleted and glassed to the bottom for strength.
I wanted to start my assembly with this installed and will mount the forward bulkheads first and then move aft. Pretty straight forward so far...
Bowstem, Bulkheads and Transom Installed
FIberglassed to strengthen for the stringer installation
Ready for the stringers
Got the bulkheads, bowstem and transom drawn, cutout and installed. Today's date is the 17th of February so I've been at it for about 1 1/2 months. I don't feel like it's been a push to get this far- in fact I find myself spending an hour here, twenty minutes there and really taking my time. It's been nice having the project right outside my kitchen door.
Before I install the stringers my plan is to epoxy the entire frame and bulkheads. I also plan to run filets and glass the joint between the transom and bottom and the seat face to transom I think these are critical joints as far as strength. I will also run filets and glass the seat face to bottom joint to make that a smooth transition. Anywhere I want a smooth looking joint I will run a filet.
Once this is completed it will be time to run my stringers and prepare for the planking.
First two stringers glued in
Got the first two sets of stringers glued in. Next will be the third one along with the gunnel mount. I will use two 20x20mm for that rather than one 20x40mm. Once that is on I will start planking the hull.
I did run into a bit of a glitch as my B3 does not seem to line up with the other bulkheads to produce a nice smooth sweep. For me to meet the notches in the bulkhead I would have to push in the stringers about 20mm on each side. This would produce a swale in the stringers that I do not want to see in the plankings.
I checked and double checked the measurements for the #3 bulkhead and everything seems to be per the drawing. No big deal as I will fabricate some extensions that will match up to the inside of the hull and be glassed in.
Starting to really look like a boat.
Also placed an order for my sails through Duckworks this week...